Celebrations

Today I painted my toenails for the first time since starting chemo! Chemotherapy affects fast growing cells (like nails), and I guess nail polish is toxic. so they recommend you stay away from the combination. And no pedicures or manicures (and no more happiness!) to avoid the risk of infection. Chemo usually causes ridges in the nails and sometimes nails even fall off! I think my "chemo nails" have finally grown out so I'm celebrating today :) (you didn't know you cared about my toenails now did you??)

And in case you were wondering, my hair is coming back with a wave! (It's not curly, so don't get too excited). My students think I'm coolest when I wear it faux-hawk style though.



I've started keeping a 5 year one-line-a-day journal, and it's been really interesting as I write each day to reflect on where I was a year ago. 2015 was no cakewalk! But painting my nails isn't the only thing my family has been celebrating this week.

One year ago my sweet baby nephew Kell Stirling Parson was born. He only lived a few months, but we'll always remember and treasure the small amount of time we had with him. My sister and her family wrote him little notes on balloons and sent them off to heaven. His little life has really touched me and our family.


We're celebrating my grandparents' recovery from their near-death car accident from the night of Kell's birth. They miraculously survived (and they miraculously managed to survive their hospital experience that followed...). They spent months healing in the hospital, an assisted living center, and finally made the transition back to their home in June. Among other things, they have relearned how to walk and eat normally and to live independently. We are so happy they have healed so well and are still with us. We love you Grandpa and Grandma!! 


It has also been a year since our favorite family cat Henry died. Many of our family members have since got new sweet little balls of fluff. I think it was hard for a lot of us at first to love a new kitty, but important.

Mom and Dad's fluffball Gladys and her favorite toy

A year ago I met some absolutely incredible doctors!! They saved my life and made my experience with cancer hopeful and bearable. I am so grateful for their expertise, optimism, and sacrifice. It has always been obvious that they really care about me and are willing to do whatever is necessary to help me.

I haven't got myself a kitty yet, but last week Dr. Polowy wrote me a prescription for one (#bestdoctorever). He's determined to help me convince my roommates that I need one, but unfortunately I think I'm just going to have to wait for now. 


People often ask me how I'm doing. Thank you!! I'm honestly doing great! And feeling great! I feel energetic and normal, although if I'm forgetful or clumsy you may hear me claim chemo-brain (I'm told I can use that excuse for the rest of my life!). I only have a couple rounds of herceptin left and will hopefully soon begin reconstructive surgery, although we haven't scheduled a date yet.

I'm so grateful to be on this end of last year's challenges, although I wouldn't trade them. My prayers and heart goes out to my friends that are still battling with old and new challenges, many of them related to cancer. What a nasty!! Somehow if we keep trusting in the Lord it's all going to be okay someday. For now we just keep on keepin' on. Sending love your way! 

Love, 
Lindsay

Comments

  1. I'm thankful I got a chance to read that. Thank you for keepin' on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Lindsay! You are sure a hero and bright light to everyone around you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment